The town of Bradford includes the villages of Bradford Center and Melvin Mills.Granted by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1765, it was settled in 1771 by Dea. William Presbury and family. Three years later other settlers arrived, several of them from Bradford, Massachusetts, after which the town was named New Bradford. Later, it was called Bradfordton, but upon incorporation by the General Court on September 27, 1787, it was officially named Bradford.
The largest portion is in a valley with varied soil. Streams provided water power for watermills. By 1859, industries included one woolen mill, one sash, blind and door factory, one wheelwright shop, two sawmills, one gristmill, one tannery, and one clothing mill. In 1850, the Concord & Claremont Railroad opened from Concord to Bradford, which would remain its terminus until the line was extended to Claremont in 1871-1872.
It is home to the Bement Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge on Center Road over the Warner River in Bradford, New Hampshire. It was built in 1854 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The Warner River is a 20.3 mile long river located in central New Hampshire and is a tributary of the Contoocook River, part of the Merrimack River watershed.
The Warner River begins at the outlet of Todd Lake in Bradford. The small river has a long whitewater section in western Warner until it reaches Interstate 89, after which the river flattens and meanders over gravel bars. A small waterfall at Davisville interrupts the flatwater, which resumes to the river's end, just north of the village of Contoocook. New Hampshire Route 103 follows the Warner River for most of the river's length.