Sanbornton Homes/Land For Sale
Located in the fork of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers, the town was first called Crotchtown. It was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth in 1748 to his friend John Sanborn of Hampton, along with 59 others from Hampton, Exeter and Stratham. Twelve of the grantees were named Sanborn, therefore the community was named Sanborntown. Among the other settlers were members of the Leavitt family, related to the Sanborns. But ongoing hostilities during the French and Indian War delayed permanent settlement until 1764. It would be incorporated by Governor John Wentworth in 1770. The town originally included Sanbornton Bridge, or Bridge Village, set off in 1869 as Tilton. Bounded on the west by the Pemigewasset River and on the east by Winnisquam Lake. Sanbornton enjoys a few family farms where local produce and even a pancake house with pure maple syrup can be enjoyed.