Webster was a part of Boscawen until 1860, the town takes its name from American statesman Daniel Webster. Webster was dramatically reshaped by a major flood in 1936, the great hurricane of 1938, and the consequent construction of the Blackwater Dam flood control project.
The 1936 flood, caused by torrential rains in combination with rapidly melting snow pack, took out five covered bridges crossing the Blackwater River. Only one was left, and mail service, electrical power, and telephone service were severely disrupted. Rowboats were used to cross the river until temporary replacement bridges could be built. When the Army Corps of Engineers responded to these disasters by building the Blackwater Dam in 1940, many of Webster's older buildings were demolished and the Town was forever altered. A striking feature of the landscape in Webster and all of New England is the network of stone walls built, primarily in the years following the Revolutionary War, by industrious farmers.
Webster enjoys the Blackwater river and man made Pillsbury Lake. It resides aproximately 20 minutes from Concord and 15 Minutes from Hopkinton and is easily accessed by Rte 127 and secondary roads off Rte 4.