A winter sports resort area, New Hampton is home to George Duncan State Forest and to the New Hampton School, a private preparatory school established in 1821.
Granted in 1765 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, New Hampton was originally known as Moultonborough Addition after then-Colonel Jonathan Moulton, who held the position of town moderator. Moulton, who was born in Hampton, changed the name to New Hampton in 1777 when it was incorporated.
A Free Will Baptist school known as the New Hampton Institute existed in the town in the 19th century. From 1854 to 1870, the institute was affiliated with Cobb Divinity School (later part of Bates College).
In 1920, the New Hampton Fish Hatchery, the state's oldest fish hatchery, was established in the town. Still a great place to visit and feed the fish!